Debian is a popular version, or fork, of the Linux operating system.
Debian 10, codenamed Buster. The previous version Debian 9 Stretch is officially supported until June 2022. Debian version 10 offers a longer support period and new features, so it is highly recommended to upgrade if running Debian 9.
This quick tutorial will show you how to upgrade from Debian 9 (Stretch) to Debian 10 (Buster).
- A system running Debian 9
- A Debian user account with sudo privileges or root
- Access to a cli/terminal or SSH
- A recent backup of the system
Upgrade to Debian Version 10 Buster
Make sure to always backup your server prior to upgrading.
Step 1: Update Package Manager and Repositories
1. First, create a backup copy of the /etc/apt/sources.list file:
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak
2. Then, open the file for editing (we are using GNU nano for text editing):
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
3. Change all the references in this file from Stretch to Buster. The entries should appear as follows:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian debian buster main deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates main deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/updates main
4. Save the file using the keyboard combination Ctrl+O and Exit by pressing Ctrl+X.
Step 2: Upgrade from Debian 9 to Debian 10
1. Update the local package lists:
sudo apt-get update
2. Next, run updates on the software packages to prepare for the operating system upgrade:
sudo apt-get upgrade
3. Finally, run the distribution upgrade:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
4. Once the process completes, reboot the system to boot into Debian 10 Buster:
Step 3: Verify Debian Upgrade
You can use the
hostnamectl command to display the OS version with the command:
The Operating System field should display Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster).
You can also look for the /etc/*version file or /etc/*release
The output should appear as:
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)" NAME="Debian GNU/Linux" VERSION_ID="10" VERSION="10 (buster)" ID=debian HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/" SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"
Step 4: AutoRemove Outdated or UnNeeded Packages
After the upgrade to Debian 10, your system might have outdated packages and dependencies which are no longer necessary.
To remove outdated packages, run the
--purge autoremove command:
sudo apt --purge autoremove